Saturday, December 15, 2007

Inspiration

Often I look for fashion inspiration in catalogs a nd on the internet and can find tons of fashionable looks on thin models. This can be a bit disheartening because I'd like to see fashionable looks on people who look like me and I am far from thin. I'm not whinning about it though.There is no self hate here. One of the many reasons I like sewing blogs so much, is all of women have different figures and sew to dress themselves fabulously.They post a cool designer garment (often runway pics) and then a few days later...BAM... their own awesome version of the look.
I like seeing fashion pics of Jill Scott, Jennifer Hudson, Monique and Queen Latifah. These beautiful women are always styling. Queen Latifah has a fashion line and these pics are a few looks I could see myself wearing.
I'm planning to do my own versions of each outfit including the bag as part of my total wardrobe makeover. I can see a lot of room for embellishments and additional detail which would allow me to use a couple of patterns for several different looks. I think I might have some similar patterns in my stash that could work. Good thing Hancock Fabrics is having a pattern sale.




8 comments:

Faye Lewis said...

Love your post as usual. Knowing you the short time that I have, I like your attitude and totally believe that you can make and will look great in a wardrobe like your fashion inspiration here. Love the looks.

p.s. when you make the bag, I need one too (lol).

Sheila said...

Love your inspirations... and like you I so love sewing blogs, especially being new to garment sewing.

Anonymous said...

I too can see myself wearing these beautiful inspiration outfits. Please let us know how you plan on doing them. Great inspiration!

merry-one

Tearsa Smith said...

You are so right about seeing styles on models that look like you. I feel the same way -- I love to see different ethnicities and sizes and hair types. The pictures you posted are beautiful.

Evelyn said...

WOW! The white shirt jacket is really nice. I can see me in that. I did't know the Queen came out with a clothing line. Yes, being plus size and sewing just works for me. I love to sew.

KimT said...

girl! I did not know Queen had a clothing line. These are gorgeous!

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

Can I second kimt - I had heard that she was planning one but I didn't realize she actually had one made...gotta google this! Thanks for the info!

Cennetta said...

I'm also agree with what has been said about the fashion images that we typically see. The majority of us do not fit the sizes, shapes, or cuts. I love your inspirational pieces.