Tuesday, March 04, 2008

The New Chick

There's a new chick in my sewing room! She has been wearing my clothes but,I don't mind. She's been a great help so far. Her name is Claire. She hasn't been adjusted or belly-padded yet. I'll do that later after some study on how to do it.
One of my Sewing resolutions for this year was to learn more about fitting.This weekend I bought this book to start me on that quest.Many of of the sewing/blogging sisters have this book in their library and have given it the thumbs up. I love blogging.There is so much good advice available. Just ask and you get honest answers,not paid endorsements.I've been reading though it during lunch break at work and I can't wait to get started.I'm going to hold off until after the Sewing Expo in Atlanta, this Saturday.I'm almost too excited about that to concentrate on much else.

I did get some sewing done this past weekend.Last Friday I got this pattern and some fabric from Hancock Fabrics ....

and by 2:00am Saturday morning I finished this shirt and cut out another.I love uninterupted late-night sewing.After sewing until wee hours I got up early enough to hit the yard sales and found this for $1.00.
Old school sewing books are full of forgotten basics(grain line,marking,pressing,etc) and cool retro details.This book is my bedtime read this week. If you should stumble upon this book,grab it.I think you'll like it. I'll be sharing what I learn in future posts.

8 comments:

Adrienne said...

You got a great deal on that book! Your top looks great!

narcissaqtpie said...

cute top, I love animal prints forever.

Faye Lewis said...

You look sooooo good in your new top! Really swinging it with that belt too

Sheila said...

You are standing there looking fierce. The blouse looks great on you. I'm with you on learning more about fitting.

Angelia said...

Better fitting! this is also a goal of mine this year... cool find at the yard sale!!! Makes me wanna get up early and go like I used to... your top looks really good too.

Mariela Alethia said...

Your blouse looks fantastic. You are such an inspiration. I need to get moving with my sewing. The Bishop sewing book should be in every sewer's library. I bought 3 Bishop sewing books on e-bay last month. I agree with you there are full of great basic information. Also i was surprise to read quite a few basic techniques that Sandra Betzina has in her book- Power Sewing. I need to find my sewing mojo. After seeing your blouse, guess what is backkkkkkk

Cennetta said...

I wanna Claire too. lol Your shirt is sassy and cute.

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

The top is great! Lovely! And you are going to love the Bishop book...chockfull of wonderful information.