Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The "Real Fit For Real People"Jacket

Way back in July,I began working on a jacket,using the Palmer and Pletsch book,"Real Fit For Real People".(see this post) As I was going along,getting a good fit,I decided to learn tailoring techniques using a book by Cecelia Podolak,"Easy Guide to Sewing Jackets".Both books are loaded with techniques that are well illustrated, easy to understand and best of all ...they work.

My jacket was finished and, after I made a pair of matching pants,I entered it into the Georgia National Fair.Now I have my suit back,finally and here it is. I wore it today,for the first time.


The jacket is from Vogue 8042 and the pants are from Vogue 8157.Both pattern are recently OOP but you might have them in your pattern stash.I plan on using it again and again.The alterations I require are:
  • FBA
  • Reduction in the shoulder area for slope shoulder.
  • Increase at the sides
  • Shortening the sleeves

While DD had time to take a few photos,I threw on the garments I made during my last "sew-in"with my friends,Linda and Ebony . I made the black pants from ponte knit and cut out the jacket during our gathering.I finish the jacket and top the next couple of evenings.

The jacket is from McCall's 5241 .The tank top underneath I copied from tracing a RTW top.I used cotton interlock fabric from Hancock Fabrics, for the jacket and top.I'd like to try a lighter knit, so that maybe it would drape closer to the body and create a more flattering effect.The necklace was given to me by Ebony.She made it! She is very talented.

Well I'm heading back into the sewing room.Since "Project Runway" season is over,I've got an extra hour to use for sewing time.

13 comments:

Adrienne said...

Nice pieces! Love that color on you!

Faye Lewis said...

Oh my goodness! Girl you look great. You in the suit = FAB! And your wrap jack top and pants, I just love the way you put it together. Your outfit has given me a new idea for the gray walmart knit dress - THANKS! I want to sew so many things - I have about 20 patterns pulled and ideas are running wild. We must "Sew In" soon!

kasizzle said...

You are smokin' in your outfits! I really love the suit.

Alana said...

You look great. I'm inspired!

Unknown said...

The teal and black -- smokin''

Cennetta said...

Work it, Mama! Two great outfits!

Sheila said...

Fabulous suit... You did a fantastic job. For some reason the 2nd pic doesn't show.. but I'm sure you look great.

Mariela Alethia said...

I love the white pantsuit. I have the book you mentioned. I am going to give it a try

Ebony said...

Now you know these pieces are out of sight. The suit is made very well - very well. And the turquoise jacket is to die for. I like the way it flows at the bottom. The cotton knit should be good for now since it is getting a little nippy. I am telling you - knits are the way to go. .

Sandy said...

Both outfits look great on you. I'm really loving that white suit, it fits you well

Charlene McGill said...

Your clothes looks very nice on you. Great job fitting the suit.

Lesalicious said...

Loving your latest outfits. Great job on that suit. OMG cute shirt loving that blue.:)

MiaLiA said...

Wow. You're incredibly talented. And that suit looks awesome!