Monday, March 11, 2013

Jean Pocket Tutorial

I am working on another pair of jeans from this pattern, Butterick 5682. This pair will be the straight leg version.
I know that there are many jean tutorials in the blog world and I've seen a lot of good ones. I hope my first tutorial will be a help to someone. This is how I prefer to do jean pockets. No template needed.
  1. Sew a straight seam all around the pocket 1/2 inch from the edges of the sides and bottom and 1/4 inch from the top edge.

2.Interface the top wrong side of the pocket so that interfacing extends at least 1/2 inch below the top fold line. This will give a nice crisp stable edge and more stabilization for any top stitching you may do. Press the top seam over to the wrong side. The line of stitching you did at the beginning will help the fabric roll right into the direction you want. (Sorry about the sideways photo. I still don't know why that happens sometimes)

 3. Using the fold line from the pattern. Fold to the front and seam the right and left sides

 4. Flip the top and press  the seams toward the inside of the pocket. The stitching done previously keeps every thing straight and neat.

5. Add the decorative top stitching at this point. This stitching also holds that fold in place.

6. Pin or use Steam-a Seam to secure the pocket in place on the pants and then stitch in place.

This is fast and easy. It makes a durable pocket with crisp edges.

Friday, March 08, 2013

A New Shirt Finished

I finished the tuck shirt and I am very happy with the results. This is from OOP Butterick 4023. I used a light weight linen blend.

Here is a close up of the collar
It was easy. I'll definitely make another and one or more of the other views. Next time I'll add length to this shirt. That is a pattern alteration I never thought I would have to do. It is a little short,but totally wearable.

Tuesday, March 05, 2013

Easier Than I Thought

I don't want to make any more winter garments. I'm ready to make spring garments,although there seems to be no sign of spring coming anytime soon. So I thought a blue shirt would be perfect for any season. I pulled an older pattern from my collection, Butterick 4023.
I've had this pattern a long time. Every time I would put my hands on it, I would say to myself," This shirt is too much work" and put it back in the drawer. I have finally gotten over the,"this is too much work "attitude. I have found out that this pattern was not "too much work" at all. I'm working on the version showing the horizontal tucks.
It was much easier than I thought. The tucks are done on one rectangle of fabric and then the two fronts are cut from it. Everything lines up an goes together just fine. I realize that I like fabric manipulation and want to include more of it in my sewn garments. I'm almost finish with this shirt and my mind is swimming with ideas.