I know that there are many jean tutorials in the blog world and I've seen a lot of good ones. I hope my first tutorial will be a help to someone. This is how I prefer to do jean pockets. No template needed.
- Sew a straight seam all around the pocket 1/2 inch from the edges of the sides and bottom and 1/4 inch from the top edge.
2.Interface the top wrong side of the pocket so that interfacing extends at least 1/2 inch below the top fold line. This will give a nice crisp stable edge and more stabilization for any top stitching you may do. Press the top seam over to the wrong side. The line of stitching you did at the beginning will help the fabric roll right into the direction you want. (Sorry about the sideways photo. I still don't know why that happens sometimes)
3. Using the fold line from the pattern. Fold to the front and seam the right and left sides
4. Flip the top and press the seams toward the inside of the pocket. The stitching done previously keeps every thing straight and neat.
5. Add the decorative top stitching at this point. This stitching also holds that fold in place.
6. Pin or use Steam-a Seam to secure the pocket in place on the pants and then stitch in place.
This is fast and easy. It makes a durable pocket with crisp edges.